Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Flying fish and footballs

Well, we are entering the last leg of ministry, and it is nearing time for us to leave. Soon we will start that very long journey home. Interestingly enough, once we fly from Korea, we will actually arrive in LA before the actual time that we left Korea!!! Oh, the wonderful fact of an international dateline amazes me every time I do it. Many of the team are actually traveling internationally for the first time, so that is a fun fact for them.

I will get more pictures up for the website soon. The last 3 or more days we have had night ministry to do, which is normally when we were sitting down together, and downloading pictures to my laptop. Yesterday was one of those days, so I have no pictures for today's update.

We took most of the day off and went out by boat to see many dolphins and flying fish. We actually played with the dolphins by speeding up and slowing down in the boat, and they jumped out and around in front of us. Then we left and went to a snorkel spot, and many were able to see some fish in the water, and some amazingly beautiful coral reefs. After that we were all hungry. So, the ministry had arranged for us a hut built up on stilts above the water (actually on the sea). It was really strange to see these three "dwellings" built out on the water, so far away from any land. This is where we had lunch, and commenced a short napping session (one of my favorite hobbies). However, napping didn't last long for many of us, and we were soon off playing in the water again. We enjoyed a time of tossing a football at each other as we jumped/dived off the ocean hut and attempted a mid-air catch. I am sure that some of the video I took will turn out to be fun from this.

After we made the trek back home (to the mission center) we ate a quick dinner and then sent off the youth group team. They went to the Passage youth center to teach/lead the high school youth group. We led worship (Stephanie, Michelle, Justin did this), and then we led the bible study (Julie taught).

The kids have started to really get to know us, and have even made us some nicknames for us. Justin is quite well liked, and since he plays drums, sings, and well... is quite well liked ... someone (a young Philippina I am sure) has decideded to add "Timberlake" to the end of Justin's name. So, they think that Justin reminds them of Justin Timberlake. This one I find quite funny!!!

Around here, the people are very sun darkened and tan. So, fair skinned people, and blonde people, are not what they normally see. Our second nickname flows out of this difference in appearance. It seems that Barbie (the doll) is still popular in the Philippines! And, wouldn't you know it, she is travelling with us! Yes, your very own Ginger Johnson has become known as Barbie.

Well, it wouldn't be very fair if I just told you about others, since I am the one writing to you. It appears that action movies are also popular around here. Especially Triple X. So, yes, as you might have guessed it, I have become known as Vin Diesel! I just wish I had his muscles!!! But, compared to the average, fairly skinny, Philippino, I guess I do have more "width" than they do!!!

Today we will be going to the market place in Tanjay (about an hour north of us) to do street evangelism. The next two days will be medical outreach.
OK, that is enough for now.

I miss home, but only because of the people I leave behind. I truly could live here, amongst a great group of local indigenous people.

Blessings from Southeast Asia,
Jeff Ludington.

1 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Blogger Corey said...

Yes, they are indeed great people :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home